Friday, December 28, 2007

Orwell Comes to America

Haven't been here in a while. Things come up every day that I think, "I should write a post about that!" But then time passes, and I get distracted and it doesn't happen. But today, as I was watching C-Span with one eye and trying to read a book on French cooking with the other, I saw this great panel on the future of journalism, so I thought I would post the link.

Apparently, there was a conference in November called "Orwell Comes to America," which included a panel made up of representatives from NPR, the NY Times, and the FCC. The panel was called, "Solutions: The Future Political Landscape" and was the portion of the program I saw. The program can be viewed on the New York Public Library website (another reason to love libraries).

Highlights included a discussion of language and journalism and what the concept of "objectivity" really means (and if it is even an obtainable standard to set).

It is worth watching, if you are interested in this discussion. And/or if you care about the future of democracy.

As a side note, C-Span is still on and that guy Tom Casey (State Dept Spokesman) seems like a bit of a jerk. Just saying.

Back to Croque-Monsieur...

No comments: