Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Three Things

A) of all: We watched this You Tube Video in class tonight.
It made me think about the flexibility of digital text and makes a nice simple statement about how the web is changing us (especially web 2.0, but I don't think you have to know much about that to appreciate the video). It is changing how we read and how we interact with text. It gives authorship and agency to people who have never had it in the past. Is this inherently a good thing? Does it change how we evaluate authenticity of a piece of text? On that note, someone in class mentioned that the NY times recently reported on the use of Wikipedia as a reference in academic work--here is the link to that article. I thought it raised a lot of interesting questions about authorship, attention and authenticity.

B) of all: I think I have a title for my paper (which is due in a little over a week). Yes, that is right--just a title, but it is a start. I wrote it down on real paper, then lost the piece of paper. So much for paper. It was something like: Attention and Authenticity: Critical Literacy in the Age of Digital Media. Great title, don't you think? Now I just have to write it (thank goodness the hard part is over though).

C) and finally: Is anyone reading this?

2 comments:

howya doin said...

Yes, someone is reading. Sounds very interesting (your blog in general). The title to your paper is great! Definetly (did I miss an "e" in that?) want to read it when you're done. Personally, I am fascinated by this stage of the information age, and yes, I believe everyone has a right to free expression. Granted everyone wont like what everyone else is doing, but that's fine (and certainly expected). Take this blog, for example. You can say what you want (and sound great when you do, by the way) and I don't have to worry about what side of the "slant" you're on (whose little toe you're committed to not stepping on, etc.). Whatever truth you have, you can freely express for the benefit of others. I think it's great. I hope it's just not too much for those who hold the reins...

NEway, nice meeting you online. My name is Guy Daniels, I'm a husband, father (of 3), musician, student (U. Phoenix Online), and entry-level blogger. If, and only if you know of someone who is nuts about the guitar, then please direct them to www.myspace.com/metalwoodtensionrelease

Gonna go now and read some more of your posts. And please continue! You have a wonderful writing voice and are interested in some very profound topics! -GD

howya doin said...

This may be off the specific point but related in general: why the new trend of write-it-yourself dictionaries and encyclopedias. Even Webster's has an "Open Dictionary" now. Why promote tampering with a language that is already crippled from numerous attacks? Whoever cares to reply please do so...

Thanks,
Guy (don't mind that "guytar" stuff, that's just my blog name on my own blog. Sounds kinda silly I know)